A one-year-old’s birthday party and first Christmas are things that the parents will remember forever. The pictures will tell the story of what happened and what they received once the child is older. These are memories you cherish with your little one for years to come. It can be really difficult picking out gifts for a child this age. They are not quite a baby anymore, yet not a toddler. This in between age can be one that is definitely the hardest to buy for. So for you new parents out there we are going to help you with a guide for buying toys for a one-year-old. Both boy and girl suggestions.
Developmental Skills of a One year old.
At this age your baby is growing rapidly. They are taking first steps and touching everything in sight. Their senses are coming alive with excitement and the world is their playground. Unfortunately for you, their world is also your living room. To combat the curiosity of wanting to pull everything off of your shelves, your precocious one needs to have something more exciting to keep them away from your belongings. They are learning through imitation and whatever you are doing, they want to be doing as well. So it is very important that you play with your growing baby with their toys so they see them as interesting.
Push and pull toys
Objects that go across the floor are particularly exciting at this age. Pull back vehicles, push button cars that move at the touch of a button with light and sound are things your child is going to go bananas for. Even cars they pull with a string, or a pet they have on a leash really light up their faces. A few brands and toy ideas in this category are:
- Cuddle and Go Toy from Tomy Toys. This turtle and baby combination move across a hardwood floor. Your baby sees the mom and baby and it reminds them of you two. Kids this age love anything that is a baby. It’s just like them.
- Press and Go Inchworm by Kidoozie or a comparable Press and Go toy. The press and go inchworm is one that you push on the middle of the toy and it creates a function that moves it very quickly across the floor. It creates an immediate speed and your kids eyes it will go wild with excitement seeing it shoot across the room. The different colors in the worm also keep your baby very interested. Recommended for kids who are 9 months to 2 years old.
- OBall Roller by Oball. This delightful toy can be pushed or pulled. You can take the ball out which is a removable one. . It is kind of like a wiffle ball with the holes in it and being able to see the ball inside but it has a rainbow print.
- Pic N Pop Ball Blaster by Tomy Toys. This toy is a walker that is part vacuum cleaner and part ball tosser. When a child rolls over a ball with this toy, it picks it up and blasts it across the room. It comes with a walker and five balls. A great rewards for walking with an immediate reward system.
- Original ABC Buggy Baby Walker by Jarrod Toys. This Walker has colorful beads that roll around inside well your baby walks. They are Alphabet blocks that you can see as you roll it across the carpeted or hardwood floor.
What kind of developmental benefits will my child get from these types of toys?
- Push and pull toys have all sorts of developmental benefits especially for a growing one-year-old. When a child has to do an action to cause another reaction, it stimulates the child’s brain in the problem solving area. If I push this toy, it will pick up balls and shoot them out. It shows that actions have consequences, good ones for now but none the less it teaches the connection between the two.
- Interpersonal feelings- these toys are all ones that a child can play with alone and that will develop independent play. It fosters the ability to entertain oneself and get to know themselves as someone who is unique and independent from others. When they play alone they start to learn their own emotion regulation.
- Physical benefits- all of these toys help a child learn through movement and different body sensations. The push and pull toys they get a feeling of “when I push down or pull this it moves me back and causes an exciting moment.” Coordination is also developed because they are manipulating actions. Moving a walker around the room uses arm and leg muscles. Building muscles is extremely important for a one year old. All of these toys help with this benefit.